10.05.2007

Back to the easel

Getting the paintings finishes and framed for the two shows got me off track with any steady painting. I need to get back to it though as I am trying to get work together for a holiday show at The Creative Center. I need 20 painting to exhibit for sale and I am trying to pound out a bunch of small painting that I can frame and sale for a lower price, to help encourage sales. I am also trying to keep the subject material "broad" so as to attract buyers. By broad I mean birds, flowers, fruit, etc. I am not sure how long I can maintain that being that it won't be long before I begin to come up with creative ideas and want to experiment. This show will purely be about making some sales and making some extra money for the holidays.

Below are the first few for this show. I dont have a lot of time this days to dedicate to painting so I have squeeze as much productivity as I can out of a few hours a day. And usually not in one sitting. An hour after work and maybe an hour later in the evening. With my 21 month boy wanting to be a part of everyhing I do, It can be tough to focus and get things done. I did find a solution that helps keep him occupied while I am painting. I set up a smaller easel I have, at his height, and put a canvas on it for him. He colors it with crayon, then to be like his old man, I gave him some old brushes and a cup of water. He loves it! He colors with the crayons then smears them around with a wet brush. He even demands that he has a papertowel to wipe his brush in.

This one is a quick apple study, about 30-40 minutes. I used a #8 filbert for the whole thing to help cover it and get it recorded quickly. 5x7, oil on panel.



This is my easel setup. You can see my homemade pallete that I bolted to the frame of the easel. Having it between me and the easel helps to remind me to keep my distance and get up close with the brush. I still lean over it to get closer but it is the thought that counts right? On the easel is my progress, about halfway complete, of an American Goldfinch.



Close up the completed painting.
"American Goldfinch" 3.5x5 oil on panel

No comments: