1.07.2008

Another Year Past.

It has been almost two years since I made my first blog entry. Having been a member of the Wetcanvas community for a short while, I noticed that alot of artists kept blogs and I found them to be educational, inspiring, and sometimes down right entertaining. At the time when I started my blog it was simply a means of keeping me inspired as I began to sketch and draw again. A way to help keep me motivated to do so(sketch). I had no idea what a catalyst it would be in propelling me forward with my art. By the fall of 2006 my desire to paint again was growing and I enrolled in a workshop at Pittsburgh Center for the Arts. It was a "plein air" workshop with Ron Donogue that turned everything around for me. I have not stopped painting since.

2007 was a good year for painting. I continued the plain air work through the summer, entered my first juried art show(and placed third!), plus started doing daily paintings that have helped my skill and color theory tremendously, and I have streamlined my pallete and studio setup. It has been a good year of study.

Looking forward to 2008

This year I have few goals and plans in place.

1)First I hope to continue my daily paintings. They have really helped me to "stretch" my painting muscle and have been a good source of practice, and a great way to warm up before tackling larger projects.

2) Enter some more competitions/shows.

3) Make my art worth something good. Being that wildlife is the avenue I will be pursuing I want to get involved with a charitible organization that helps wildlife and donate work as a means to help raise money.

4) Start working on larger works. The time has come to take everything I have learned thus far and put it all together. I need to produce some paintings that not only depict animals, but thier enviroments as well.

5) Set aside more time to dedicate to painting.

6) Let it flow. I need to just let it go sometimes and begin to explore the more abstract ideas I have.

7)Make money. I need to make some money through sales of my art. For me, that would be an indicator of success as an artist.

Another question I am tackling is the option of moving my studio to the basement. We are quickly running out of space in the house and as Chaise's toys multiple he is in need of a dedicated playroom. One option we are considering is to fix up the basement. The other is to move my studio to the basement and use that room as a playroom. I would have more space in the basement which would be good. However it would also be out of the way. Now I have to walk past my easel every time I use the bathroom. This has kept me thinking and mindful of my progress. I worry that out of sight, could be out of mind. That is not likely, but a fear I have. Light isn't an issue. In fact I may have more natural light in the basement than I do now. Plus I would be able to open the back door which would let in some north light and provide fresh air. So something I must consider early this year.

The Cougar, Raven, Bull, Buffalo and Hawk are my totem animals for the year. These have been coming to me in thoughts and visions of paintings as of late. There is power in these animals and they will be the focus of my work this year.

No comments: